Sunday, July 20, 2008

LEADING OTHERS TO JESUS

You know one of the things needed in the soul winning effort, don't you? Well in case you have forgotten, fear is a major factor. What is expected when they respond at the invitation song? What is the baptistery like? What are the dressing rooms like? The garments themselves?

Jade met with me during Bible class this morning. Her marriage is suffering strain and she wanted to talk to me. We began by talking about the hope God offers to start life over. She was glued. The idea of meeting Jesus in his death and being raised to walk a new life was one thing she wanted. She was hungry to start life with God. He had recently gotten her attention. The study went well and she told me she wanted to be baptized someday soon.

At the invitation our eyes met. She smiled but didn't move. I know one thing most likely going on; she is afraid. The song ended and we were gathering cards of those who had prayer requests and I went out and sat down beside Jade. "Are you wanting to be baptized today or are you simply waiting for a later date?" "I want to be, but I'm scared" was her immediate response. I said, "Then I'm here to walk with you. Let's go."

I baptized Jade and she was/is so excited. The church loves her as she had been visiting for about a year. Sometimes in the soul winning process we must be aware of the simplest things like being afraid to move. We can help by asking what it is they wish to do and then partner with them as the make tremendously daring steps.

No comments: