Saturday, July 19, 2008

DREADING TOMORROW AS SUNDAY IS COMING

Some of my ministerial colleagues dread tomorrow. They feel they live on death row and the final march to the plank is coming. I tell you I understand and I stand by you...warts and all. Ministry is tough stuff on occasion. Stick with God and His Word. Don't flinch. Don't be antagonistic and mean. Bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Be courageous like Jesus. Love hard.

A mistake I made in my younger years was I was terribly mean-spirited. I had that non-Holy Spirit and rough-edged nature of believing pounding and loudness equated strength of sound doctrine. Simply wrong. I, as a result, inflicted many unnecessary wounds and perpetually aggravated sores among the flock.

A thing I did right was dare challenge the status quo regardless of who quo was. Try to only be dependent upon Christ; not your role, not your position. Things can get downright scary being in ministry. I think that is by Divine design. We do face moments as did Abraham where we must make the move of faith and no one on earth would believe us to be in our right mind. At times we are the ones blazing the trail for the future church families (even future preachers) to enjoy the wonderful works of the Spirit of Christ.

Now, once you understand I am with you and quite sympathetic, the next step is the toughest of all. Die well.

A commenter ask on a more recent blog what books I would recommend. I share my response to him with you all. These works help me continually develop the spirit of a servant:
  1. The Wounded Healer....Nouwen
  2. The Return of the Prodigal...Nouwen
  3. In The Name of Jesus.....Nouwen
  4. Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ...Piper
  5. The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus...Manning
  6. Empowering the Ordinary...Rush (Even if this one is mine, it is being used by so many to enter the slightest work of the Holy Spirit.)

Sunday is coming and if you should die....die well.

2 comments:

drjimwhite said...

All right, Terry, where can I get a copy of your book "Empowering the Ordinary"?

Terry Rush said...

Jim and Anyone Else,

who would like information regarding EMPOWERING THE ORDINARY, please write me at trush@memorialdrive.org. I'll be happy to pass along such info.