Wednesday, June 11, 2008

MEANINGFUL PEOPLE

This morning I sent a birthday card off to Logan, Iowa. Jean Davis turns 100 next week. I haven't seen her in over 45 years. You most likely wouldn’t know Jean. She was the postmaster at my grandparent’s little town of Arbela, Missouri. Population? 95.

Nestled at the end of a sweeping highway curve amidst several trees, random buildings, and only one adjoining T in the road, Arbela was a Norman Rockwell sort of place. A Baptist church, plus a Methodist one, sat on knolls a block from one another. Each had sidewalks of crooked, some sunken, mismatched slabs leading to their doorways. Down the alley was a one-room school house hosting the first eight grades. My retired-from-the-farm grandpa was the custodian. He built the fires using coal or wood (mixed with occasional corncobs) in the early winter mornings to see that the students and the one teacher had a chance of enduring the howling and bitter winds.

It could be said the town was light on monuments. Really, the townspeople were it. Skinny Shinburger ran the only gas station. Yoder operated the tiny, dimly lit grocery store. And, Jean managed the post office. Marvin and Elsie lived on the edge of town. They went to church with Ed and Beulah (my grandparents) and the four played a whole lot of Rook. The local blacksmith would make an impression on any little kid. He was always covered in black soot and his arms protruded from his sleeveless shirt like Oscar-Meyer hams. I bet he was the strongest man around.

Jean turns one hundred next week. She would never guess that back when I was 8 or 9 she impressed me as to being a very nice and special Christian lady. I hope she likes the card. I hope it surprises her to open it from one she barely knew four decades past. My guess is it will make her smile.

Maybe there is someone in your world who made a good impression on you. Maybe you should call them or write. Let them know they are still important. It doesn’t take a whole lot of effort to brighten another’s day.

3 comments:

Stoogelover said...

If this can make my day, surely it will thrill her!!

Anonymous said...

It seems almost a hundred years since I heard you speak about fervor versus lethargy. Years later, it remains a challenge and a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Loved the whole thing, but especially the last paragraph. Thanks for reminding us again how important that we do the simple little things to show others they're valued and cared about. It can make someone's day. Too often we delay till it's too late. It doesn't need to be something big or great. A small caring gesture often lingers in the heart long after the "big" things are forgotten.

I'm sure Mrs. Jean Davis will be more than happy when she receives your card.