Tuesday, June 10, 2008

HIDING FROM PEOPLE WHILE COMMITTING TO MINISTRY

When Jesus taught that we are to do more than greet those we already love, he hit one of the deepest of church nerves. By human nature, like gathers with like. Jesus is the clear exception to the rule. He targeted sparrows so to speak. In general we love this trait about him; but may struggle to make it a part of us. Getting our members who know better to greet strangers remains one of the greatest tasks for our congregations. Add the need to cross the threshold to engage with the people during ministry is yet another very tall order.

It is easier to be task oriented. It is a far greater challenge to carry on a conversation with interest in those to whom we minister. This call is nothing new. For as long as I’ve been in the church it seems some have worked hard to keep people at a distance by burying ourselves in meaningful church events. These labors, to be sure, count. Yet, there remains a growing need for person to person community engagement.

I’m not down on church. We are terrific. I am up on people we don’t know and will continue to urge the church to do as Jesus; touch people. I still have to work on this myself. I began ministry as a man basically secure behind a wooden barricade called a pulpit. I could shout all kinds of daring charges and rail on occasion about our sorry weaknesses. To personally connect with just anyone who walked in was basically out of the question. But I’ve been blessed to see some around me move right into meaningful relationships with strangers. The life they give to others is both what I see them do and what I saw Jesus did. I want to get better at doing that.

Especially if you are a leader, I urge you to consider how aggressive you are at connecting with those outside of your friendship circle. Being deeply involved in work of the church while avoiding interaction with people may merely be a mask to ministry. Instead we additionally must look for opportunity to brighten someone’s day….with a personal greeting.

2 comments:

Jimmy Clare said...

Great post Terry...this one really hit home. By the way, was hosting a Yard Sale for the kids for camp and someone donated some workshop tapes (I kept them - Godly Selfishness)...In those were a lesson you gave on "Getting through the rough spots" from 1991...I enjoyed the words even now. I thank God for His work through you.

JC

Shane Coffman said...

You've hit on something I constantly struggle with. I need you to keep cheering me on in this area.