Wednesday, May 07, 2008

THE THRILL OF WORSHIP

Church once meant going to a building and more specifically meeting an organized set of worship criteria which would fulfill having been "at" church. I liked it all right and even became especially enthused as various ones patiently showed me the Bible's purpose. It was my understanding that a Bible was basically a gift given to religious kids at Eighth Grade Graduation. For that, I was so thankful I wasn't religious. I would have been so disappointed to get "that" for a gift.

Worship is no longer a checklist. It's a constant praise to God about God and for God. I love to carry on about Him to Him. As I lay down at night I mentally rehearse my fondest appreciation. When I awaken and realize I have awakened (each day is a new thought/new adventure) I remember to send Him mental gratitude. I pray for Dalton Pierce and Kelcy Mayes at night and morning as they are the two school children I selected to pray for (Memorial takes names to remember in prayer) during the school year.

Never would I have guessed worshipping God is funner than baseball. I know that sounds terribly earthy; yet, I get lost in it. Too, when we are assembled Shane Coffman does such a terrific work in designing meaningful corporate worship. We pray every Sunday morning together that God will participate....and He does every time!

Yes, each of us surely has stresses and moods and mishaps requesting our attention. I encourage you to praise God in the center of everything. He is the One who knows all and is all. We are mere people called by Him to arise into the land of wonder by letting our hearts soar in lavish love for Him. Dents and dings won't hold us back from embellishing our perpetual awe of the Living God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right- He does every time.

Stoogelover said...

I never really knew what worship was until I moved to Long Beach ... not just worship with my family in assembly, but that my life is to be worship to God!

Anonymous said...

If more people viewed worship from a "thrilling" standpoint, I believe outsiders would be much more attracted to what we experience. Thanks, Terry.