Friday, March 21, 2008

PRAYER: HOW DO YOU GET STARTED?

Next week is to be the Tulsa International Soul Winning Workshop. The theme is Prayer: Our Declaration of Dependence. I wasn’t confident such a theme would fly. Well, it is!

Do any of you struggle with praying? I was a paid minister when in my early years I didn’t like to pray. In my first work I don’t remember praying. In my second work I recall building some momentum. Today? Well, I’m not yet as groomed as one would expect, but changes for the good are progressing.

What blocks us from this most important facet of discipleship?
  • FAILING TO BELIEVE GOD IS ACTIVE…if we think He isn’t going to do anything, then the ceiling tiles are as far as prayer goes. It was a boring and unproductive exercise, not a divine communication.
  • FAILING TO BE THANKFUL…praying is not a grocery list of “Bless me.” “Bless me.” “Give me.” “Give me.” It is a dialog of thanksgiving. He hears and His heart swells to hear His children say “Thank You.”
  • FAILING TO WANT…for so long I was drawing a pay check. I was putting in official hours. I didn’t possess a burden for anyone or anything except to see my ministry survive. Odd? Oh surely I’m rare in this, but for a few of us we feel so out of step, we just don’t know how or where to begin…anything.
  • FAILING TO SIMPLY BELIEVE (an extension of the first one)…for years I thought ministry was organizing calendaric church choreography. I had no concept of Invisible involvement with my earthly mission. It didn’t register. Period. Why pray when I could use the valuable time to get pressing projects rolling? That God would lend a hand was not in my mental filing cabinet. I thought it was up to me. It isn’t.

    Some may read this and struggle with prayer. What would you add as a reason for struggle OR a reason for prayer’s progress?

5 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Terry: I'm new to the blog and just want to say I appreciate all the insight and encouragement you offer.

As for prayer, I think we often don't pray for "impossible" things because we forget that nothing is too hard for God. We decide that the cancer patient really is going to die soon no matter what. We assume that the neighbor who acts like a disciple of the devil is beyond hope. What we should be doing is calling for God to unleash His power in those "impossible" situations. Let Him be the judge of what can and cannot happen.

Terry Rush said...

Tim,

While I check for comments regularly throughout each day, I rarely comment on the comments. I am grateful for each and receive such encouragement from them.

However, yours must receive public comment. GREAT! (Taken of course from the ancient theologian, Tony the Tiger)

You have hit such an inspiring nerve which should excite our readers to want to pray more intentionally.

Good job!

Tammy said...

I went to two classes on prayer at the last Zoe conference and one of the things I learned was that we grow in our prayer life all the time. When we start out, we know we need God and may spend a lot of time asking for things pertaining to our own life and the changes we want to happen. Then, as we grow, we may focus on the needs of others almost to the exclusion of ourself. And lastly, we realize that life itself is not about any of us, that it is all about Him. And our prayers will focus on His greatness and what He is doing in our lives and others lives, and the plans He has for us for a future that is all about Him. I must confess I still sit in the first two catagories a lot of the time, but that last one is where I feel my relationship with God truly grows and I listen for His reply.

Anonymous said...

I think people have poor prayer lives because they allow themselves to be too busy - I know it's a poor excuse, but I think it's reality. Myself and the people around me are in their late 20's and 30's with careers, families, and hobbies (that we invest way too much time and money into.) Honestly, our lives are pretty good and we don't take enough time to build our relationship between ourselves and God (I'm trying to change this personally.)

We're good people, regulars at bible study and worship...but the deep personal prayer life is missing in the lives of lots of christians.

Wow, I'm probably sounding way too negative. I just look back at certain times in my life - and wish I would have relied on God more to direct me and give me advice.

Jesse
www.247christian.blogspot.com

Keith Roberts said...

Terry,

I think we don't pray more because we think of it as a religious duty or one of those "good things" we should do.

It isn't. It's entering the throne room that transcends time and space and having a conversation with Father. How exciting!

But having that experience means calming the unruly, selfish child within me so I can enjoy my time with Him.

Prayer is fun!

By the way, thanks so much for building the Tulsa Workshop around prayer this year. God us up to something...