Tuesday, March 04, 2008

FEELING LIKE A DUD LATELY?

A few weeks ago I confessed to my staff my complete frustration of feeling non-productive. I feared I might be disappointing them or neglecting them; possibly even irritating them. I just wanted them to know I knew. Today another on staff reminded me of that talk and confessed he is feeling the same now. He feels nothing is working, little is useful, and he's questioning his role in ministry. Here's something important I shared with him that some of you may need to consider.

If we are going to minister we must experience dud days to keep in touch with those on the hurting side of life. Jesus came to earth, became human, and experienced the full range of humanity. He identified with us; our every ache and disappointment and frustration. We go through valleys to know how valley walkers feel. We cannot know their agony if we do not experience agony.

Dud days are good days for anyone in ministry....full-time or volunteer. Not all plans work. Not all preparation delivers. Not all efforts bear fruit. But due to the magical mystery of God's brilliance, even failure means something to the believer. Dud days are not a waste. They are a class we take called Suffering 101. We not only despise them, we may find we don't like ourselves. Great! Maybe we'll learn to lean on Jesus just a bit by bit more.

Feeling like a dud lately? You know full-well I was not aware of it. But evidently your Father did. He may have just signaled that you are not useless, but rather important enough for Him to let you struggle because you have a brilliant ministry to fulfill. Hurting people are so benefited when you refuse to give up on His work in you!

God bless you, Dud.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

I am the dud apologizer. I become a dud, and then apologize over and over for my dud-ness.
I don't ever see you being a dud. Many times our own fears, hurts, and wants create in us that dud feeling if we can not produce something that feels of worth on a daily basis. We get that feeling of "Oh...I didn't accomplish anything today" when in fact, but one simple thing we may have done caused us to be the least dudly person ever.
On days when I feel like I am walking through that valley, I stop and think of someone else that maybe walking right along side me. I may not know what they are going through, but sometimes giving a simple call or email or card for the day helps me feel like I have accomplished something for the day. It helps me restart my flame that may not be all the way out, but is certainly flickering in the wind.
We all have those days. I have A LOT of those days for some reason. It helps to take the focus off of myself and glorify God by ministering to someone else in need. They may just need to hear my laugh for the day and I may need to listen to their cry.
After all, when I feel like a dud, I'm mostly focusing on myself, and I think God is redirecting me to pay attention to the things that matter most! Then my dud-ness is gone! Hope yours is gone today too! LY!

Cary said...

Thanks, Terry. Needed to hear this.

drjimwhite said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Usually, at those times is when God sends someone to you to let you know how much they appreciate you. It's almost as if God says, "Don't get too cocky. Your ministry is Me and not you." Then off you go again. Thanks, Terry, you hit my heart every day. JW
P.S. Remember, just add one letter and "dud" becomes "dude."

Anonymous said...

Terry,
You have taught all of us much about how to turn a weakness into a strength. Just last Sunday I had a bad day eating the wrong food at the wrong time. Monday I turned things around and started being more self-controlled and alert. Bad was turned into good.
2 Cor. 12
7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.

9 But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Larry Wishard

David Kirk said...

You're not a dud!

Theresa said...

I know this says "dud"... but I keep thinking... dude, where's my car?