Tuesday, January 15, 2008

IS GOD STILL ON SPEAKING TERMS?

According to some God has gone mute since the days of the early apostles. Wanna know what He thinks? What He wants? Read His Word has often been the charge. This leaves a believer stuck, uncertain, and completely interactionless with their living, breathing God. Relationship is forced to dumb down to reading material.

Agreed, the Word is alive. It declares such. Yet, it also speaks of His Spirit working with the inner man. It speaks of His Spirit power being directed to our inner man. Finally, the Word calls for those of us who lack wisdom to ask of God and He will send it in…..promise. The Bible says wisdom from above comes down…not came down.

God is on speaking terms with His disciples today. What does He sound like? How do we know He is speaking? While I feel sure I am in kindergarten on this subject, one of the ways He speaks to me is during my quietness ideas pop into my head. That’s all I know to say. All have ideas. The practicing of discerning which are from God and which are from earthy manipulation is essential. Weak argument! you say? Ah, I shall not blame you. We are weak in every aspect of our experience with Him. Yet if guided by the Word, He insists we can ask for wisdom and He will send it in.

When you pray for your offspring to find the perfect mate, are you asking for a random roll of the dice? Or, are you anticipating God’s active participation? I believe the latter. As one voices her dilemma in prayer as to which job to take (the one at Target or the one at Starbucks), is she to expect a personal guided response or should she read her Bible, throw at a dartboard, and leap headlong into what she really wanted to do in the first place?

Our God is a talker. He verbalized creation. His small talk created a Canyon that’s still Grand and a Niagra which continues to Fall. He desires fellowship with His created humanities. We are free to seek His counsel and expect an answer.

3 comments:

Stoogelover said...

I, too, get those "thoughts" that I can't explain otherwise. The troublesome part is I get those "thoughts" mostly when life is calm and there is no crisis in which I BEG to hear and I do hear ... silence.

drjimwhite said...

Terry, I just tried to call you but missed your office hours. Thanks so much for your wonderful blogs. Today's really struck a cord for me. Why is it after years, all of a sudden someone's name comes to you? I think it's the Spirit. I choose to come Him the Holy Prompter because He does that so many times in my life. God does speak to us if we would just take time to listen. Thanks again!

drjimwhite said...

I choose to call Him. Sorry. Typo.