Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lead, follow...or get out of the way.

In my early years as a cynical and brash preacher I relished the sting of the bumper sticker which boasted, Lead, follow, or get out of the way. The message of course was a bold call for the bum-fussler(s) blocking church progress to either get with the program or else let me lead and he/she/they move to the rear. It was a strong, stern message of power coupled with vision.....I thought. Just to recite it excited the take-charge guy within me!

As God grew me down I have practiced that line so much better as the secret to it's call is really to get out of the way. That's what John the Baptist did when Jesus approached. That's what I try to do to be an effective leader at Memorial. I try to calculate how to best get out of the way: out of His way, out of the members' way, out of progresses' way.

Now in my 30th year we are having Jason Thornton and Bobby Smith (both staffers) preach once a quarter. Others must increase and I must decrease. Gradually, these and others will be in the pulpit more. I intend to be present cheering them on. Getting out of the way doesn't seem to be natural. I feel weird sitting there while a young fellow does the preaching. I'm doing nothing...it seems.

Yet, getting out of the way is such good leadership. It let's God and His people continue the flexibility to be current, to try the new, to experience uncharted courses which would also be good for developing missionaries out of our kids and training reckless young minds to exert their energy inside the halls of kingdom living. Oh, Lord willing, I'm far from being put out to pasture. I'm only 59. But we are planning ahead for the future when I hit 85 and they have had enough of me.

We have many mottos which produce effectively at Memorial Drive. A great one is, A Place To Start Life Over. Another one we try to practice everyday is, Get Out of the Way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry, How about:
"Get out of the way cause we're starting life over"

Angie said...

"Oh, Lord willing, I'm far from being put out to pasture."

That's the truth, Terry! You are aging like a fine wine - better with each year, and I'm drunk on you, brother! :-)

It does my heart good to see that you are the kind of leader who's not intimidated by a "power shift" for the sake of growing the Kingdom. Even when it's a bit uncomfortable..

Thankful for your example...

Heather said...

Would this be a good time to ask if we can move your office to the breakroom? hehe

"A place to get out of the way." You know, that really is one of the things I love about the people in this place ... it is understood that all we do here is about Him.
I've had to learn to relax here ....to be still and know that He is in charge....to trust His Spirit more than my own plans and busy-ness...
It's a humbling and transforming thing that I treasure. Thanks for leading in that.

tim rush said...

I think it's great that you don't just get out of the way, but that you stay there to support while feeling like you are doing nothing. If they preached while you were out of town, that wouldn't mean much. But if they are preaching while you're in the audience... that's getting out of the way, for them. Good stuff.

85 huh?

Liz Moore said...

Believe me, you sitting in the pew is far from nothing. For someone of your experience to "get out of the way" as you put it and give some younger guys an opportunity is in no way doing nothing. You choosing to be there to listen to them rather than taking that opportunity to just be gone I know is a great encourage to them. And I'm sure that Memorial could never have enough of you. I know I couldn't! Because I can't imagine God ever stopping to preach through you!